[Rd] R CMD check and Suggests Packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 11:29:36 CEST 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Dario Strbenac wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In my description file, I have an example data package in Suggests:
> that I've deleted from my library to test what the user who doesn't
> have it will experience.
>
> However, R CMD check won't even pass my package :
>
> * checking package dependencies ... ERROR
> Package required but not available: RepitoolsExamples
>
> Why would it have to be installed, if it's only a data package, that
> isn't needed in any of my code ? The manual also says "In
> particular, large packages providing “only” data for examples or
> vignettes should be listed in ‘Suggests’ rather than ‘Depends’ in
> order to make lean installations possible."

Why suggest a package that 'isn't needed in any of my code'?

I suspect that is a lie, and some of your code does use it: if some it
is needed to fully check the package.   There is a option to 'R CMD
check' to enable the check to go ahead without all the dependencies,
so please do re-read the manuals to find it.