[Rd] SVN vs DVCS

Roger Peng rdpeng at gmail.com
Fri May 28 04:18:03 CEST 2010

I think the main advantage of a DVCS is that it allows many many
people to make changes to a project and to integrate those changes in
a non-insane way. Given that R as a very restricted list of people who
actually make changes to the source, it doesn't seem that something
like git or Hg would provide a major advantage. If the people on that
list are happy with SVN then there's not much else to say. However, if
it were thought that maybe we want more people submitting
patches/making changes, then perhaps it might make more sense to move
to a DVCS.

I use git for everything mainly because it's *fast* and it has much
better tools for viewing changes/patches and revision history. For
example, 'git bisect' has allowed me track down bugs that would have
been very painful for me because I'm not intimately familiar with the
entire R source code.

-roger

Roger D. Peng  |  http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/