[Rd] SVN vs DVCS

Seth Falcon seth at userprimary.net
Wed May 26 19:14:57 CEST 2010

On 5/26/10 4:16 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> Note that one can also use any of the dvcs systems without actually
> moving from svn by using the dvcs (or associated extension/addon) as
> an svn client or by using it on an svn checkout.

FWIW, I have been using git for several years now as my vsc of choice
and use it for all svn-backed projects (R included) via git-svn.

Some of the things I like:

- Being able to organize changes in local commits that can be revised,
reordered, rebased prior to publishing.  Once I got in the habit of
working this way, I simply can't imagine going back.

- Having quick access to full repository history without network
access/delay.  Features for searching change history are more powerful
(or easier for me to use) and I have found that useful as well.

- This may not be true any longer with more recent svn servers/clients,
but aside form the initial repo clone, working via git-svn was
noticeably faster than straight svn client (!) -- I think related to how
the tools organize the working copy and how many fstat calls they make.

- I find the log reviewing functionality much better suited to reviewing
changes.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | @sfalcon | http://userprimary.net/