[Rd] update.packages fails with directory not found

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 10 16:42:27 CEST 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 10/05/2010 8:28 AM, Mike Prager wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 06:33:54 -0400, Duncan Murdoch
>> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Files\R\Library/PBSmodelling": The system cannot
>> >Is that a cut and paste of the error message?  Normally R would double
>> >the backslashes when displaying a string, so it looks as though you've
>> >somehow got a path containing the control characters \P, \R, and \L.  >Did
>> you set the lib.loc argument when you called update.packages?
>>
>> Thank you!  Yes, it's cut and paste.

The message coming from C (do_normalizepath) not R.

> I did not set lib.loc in the
>> call (made through the Rgui.exe menu system), but I have the library
>> location defined in the environment:
>>
>> R_LIBS=c:/Program Files/R/Library
>>
>> I've been using this approach for several years, and it's worked
>> without problem until now.
>>
> I can't seem to reproduce this.  If it happens reproducibly on your system,
> could you please do the following:
> print the result of installed.packages()["PBSmodelling",], .libPaths() and
> sessionInfo()?
>
> A possible workaround is to get the names of all of your packages in the
> Library folder and install them, rather than using the update.packages()
> function.  This may fail if some of them aren't on CRAN or the other
> repositories.

I think he has a permissions issue on that directory. I'd remove it
manually after a reboot, then re-install.  (Reboot because it may be
open in some crashed process.)

I've seen this in Vista/7 several times, but of course permissions are
more of a hindrance there.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk