[Rd] Possible improvements/clarifications for R-forge (Was: Re: Using SVN + SSH on windows)

Christophe Genolini cgenolin at u-paris10.fr
Sun Mar 28 19:28:57 CEST 2010

Wahou! I did not plan to start such a debate...
>> It is really not hard to set it up. I am using a vanilla ssh (rather
>> than putty) and that works fine all the time...
The problem is not how hard or easy it is, the problem is how time
consuming it is.

I am pretty sur that I will manage to make it work. But when? I allready
lose three hours Friday and two hour on saturday... That's definitly too
much. Because I am not an engeneer in computing, I am a researcher. To
make my research, I have to be expert in longitudinal data, in
clustering, in anorexia, I have to speak english, I have to know R, and
C, and package managing, and LaTeX, and gimp, and... and... and...
There is so many things to know... I can not be expert in all.

So I do not have time to (and I do not want to) explore all the ssh
subtulties... Worse, I have a project, I manage to find some people that
want to work on the projet (but that also have a lot of other staff to
do), I do not want them to give up because it will take to much time for
them to make ssh run.

Generalier, I think that anything should be done to make tools easy to
use for non-expert, because more and more R user are occasional user.
They are not experts, they don't want to become expert. They are just
feed up to pay a lot of money for SPSS or Stata... But I guess this is
another debate.

Christophe