[Rd] Using SVN + SSH on windows

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 18:31:18 CET 2010

I am using TortoiseSVN 1.6.7 on Vista and right clicking in Windows
explorer and choosing
   TortoiseSVN | TortoiseSVN Settings | Network
gives a blank dialog.   In fact I don't think I have ever used the
TortoiseSVN Network dialog at all yet I am able to use TortoiseSVN to
send commits to R-Forge.

Not sure it matters but I normally run pageant from the command line like this:
pageant \mydir\privatekey.ppk

I also had a lot of problems getting commits to R-Forge to work from
Windows.  The entire system is really geared to UNIX.  It took me a
couple of days of trial and error (since you have to wait 20 minutes
for each try) before I got it working.  Although I did get it to work,
I ultimately decided to host all my packages on googlecode.
googlecode is extremely easy to use from Windows and does not require
any public/private key, pageant, etc.  e.g.
http://sqldf.googlecode.com.  If you already have TortoiseSVN and know
how to use it then you can probably set up a googlecode site in
literally 5 minutes.

One other possibility.  I think there is a way to host your project on
googlecode but still have it mirrored on R-forge so from your users'
viewpoint its the same as if it were on R-Forge but you can use the
simpler googlecode site.  In that case you might not need to set up
commits on R-Forge since you would do all your commits through
googlecode (depending on how it works) but I have not seen good
documentation on how to do this.