[Rd] Associative array?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Mar 15 21:11:07 CET 2010

Roger,

On Mar 15, 2010, at 15:25 , Roger Peng wrote:

> If I recall correctly, I thought indexing a vector/list with a
> character vector uses hashing if the vector is over a certain length
> (I can't remember the cutoff). Otherwise, it's a linear operation.

What I was talking about was lookup of one element in a named generic
vector of length n so that is linear (~O(n)), because we were
discussing l[[i]].

But, yes, you're right that if you use a vector for indexing x[y] (a
slightly different topic but applicable to the data table example)
then match() is used (=hashing) if either the subscript or names are
long enough (subscript.c at 493 has the exact formula).

Cheers,
Simon