[Rd] application to mentor syrfr package development for Google Summer of Code 2010

James Salsman jsalsman at talknicer.com
Mon Mar 8 06:00:27 CET 2010

Chillu,

If I understand your concern, you want to lay the foundation for
derivatives so that you can implement the search strategies described
in Schmidt and Lipson (2010) --
http://www.springerlink.com/content/l79v2183725413w0/ -- is that
right? It is not clear to me how well this generalized approach will
work in practice, but there is no reason not to proceed in parallel to
establish a framework under which you could implement the metrics
proposed by Schmidt and Lipson in the contemplated syrfr package.

I have expanded the test I proposed with two more questions -- at
http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2010:syrfr
-- specifically:

5. Critique http://sites.google.com/site/gptips4matlab/

6. Use anova to compare the goodness-of-fit of a SSfpl nls fit with a
linear model of your choice. How can your characterize the
degree-of-freedom-adjusted goodness of fit of nonlinear models?

I believe pairwise anova.nls is the optimal comparison for nonlinear
models, but there are several good choices for approximations,
including the residual standard error, which I believe can be adjusted
for degrees of freedom, as can the F statistic which TableCurve uses;
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-test#Regression_problems

Best regards,
James Salsman