[Rd] libgfortran misplaced in Mac OS X R install (PR#14226)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Mar 3 16:32:52 CET 2010

This is not an R bug so please don't abuse R-bugs. It is likely a bug
in the way OpenMx binaries are distributed by someone (you didn't even
say where you got them from) - OpenMx is not even on CRAN so take that
to whoever gave you the binaries. On CRAN we use the correct paths.

Cheers,
Simon

On Mar 2, 2010, at 11:45 , tbrick at virginia.edu wrote:

> Full_Name: Timothy Brick
> Version: 2.10
> OS: Mac OS X (seen on both 10.6 and 10.5)
> Submission from: (NULL) (63.255.24.5)
>

> When using install.packages in R on Mac OS X, packages that require
> gfortran
> throws an error (Example below from installation of OpenMx package):

> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
> unable to load shared library
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/OpenMx/libs/i386/
> OpenMx.so':
> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/OpenMx/libs/
> i386/OpenMx.so,
> 6): Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.2.dylib
> Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
> OpenMx/libs/i386/OpenMx.so
> Reason: image not found
>
> libgfortran.2.dylib does exist, but in
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.10/Resouces/lib/
> libgfortran.2.dylib
> (or /2.9/, depending on version installed).
>
> A workaround at present involves creating a symbolic link from the
> above file to
> /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.2.dylib, however this requires sudo
> access and is
> confusing for novice users.
>
> There is more discussion of this bug as it relates to OpenMx at:
> http://openmx.psyc.virginia.edu/thread/316
>
> Posts on other forums indicate a similar issue with other packages
> including
> vegan and lme4:
> http://r-forge.r-project.org/forum/forum.php?
> thread_id=728&forum_id=194
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2009-May/006210.html

Those are very old posts and those were temporary issues in the CRAN
build system that have been promptly resolved.