[Rd] Installation problem with 2.10 and Solaris 10 (PR#14227)

jnoble at vcu.edu jnoble at vcu.edu
Tue Mar 2 22:35:08 CET 2010

Full_Name: John Noble
Version: 2.10
OS: Solaris 10 SPARC
Submission from: (NULL) (128.172.190.27)

  The make of Recommended fails.  All sections of Make work up to this point and
the compiled version of R appears to be correct.  Only when adding the
recommended modules does the problem appear.  The best I can figure the problem
appears to be related to the fact that gzip will not decompress linked files
without the "-f" option.  Sample output follows:

# make
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jnoble/R-2.10.1/src/library/Recommended'
begin installing recommended package boot
ERROR: cannot extract package from 'boot.tgz'
make[1]: *** [boot.ts] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jnoble/R-2.10.1/src/library/Recommended'
make: *** [recommended-packages] Error 2

  The boot.ts.out file contains:

# more boot.ts.out
  ERROR: cannot extract package from 'boot.tgz'

  If I try to run the command that the Makefile appears to be running
by hand I get the following:

# ../../../bin/R CMD INSTALL -l "../../../library" boot.tgz
  ERROR: cannot extract package from 'boot.tgz'

 Oddly, the following happens with the latest gzip:

 gzip -d boot.tgz
 gzip: boot.tgz: Number of symbolic links encountered during path name traversal
 exceeds MAXSYMLINKS

  This can be corrected with the "-f" option but I can't pass that into "R".

  Thanks, john noble
  VCU
  jnoble at vcu.edu

  Solaris 10, SPARC