[Rd] Problem with gsl package

Hoptman, Matthew Hoptman at NKI.RFMH.ORG
Mon Mar 1 01:09:32 CET 2010

Hi Martin,
I'll try it out.
Best,
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Becker [mailto:martin.becker at mx.uni-saarland.de]
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:45 PM
To: Hoptman, Matthew
Cc: r-devel at r-project.org
Subject: Re: [Rd] Problem with gsl package

Hi,

I think I had similar problems with gsl on a non-standard installation.
The following steps seemed to work (but are merely the results of
struggling around...)

1. Download and extract source code of R-package 'gsl'
2. Use gsl-config --libs to get the path to GSL's lib directory
(-L<path-to-lib>), use gsl-config --cflags to get the path to GSL's
include directory (-I<path-to-include>)
3. Change Makevars in gsl/src:
- Add -L<path-to-lib> to PKG_LIBS
- Add (new) line: PKG_CPPFLAGS=-I<path-to-include>
4. Install gsl via
  LDFLAGS=-L<path-to-lib>;export
LDFLAGS;CPPFLAGS=-I<path-to-include>;export CPPFLAGS;R CMD INSTALL gsl

Best,

  Martin

Hoptman, Matthew wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to R and am writing after having contacted Robin Hankin, who
> maintains the R gsl wrapper.
>

> I am trying to use an AFNI (neuroimaging analysis) program that
depends
> on the R gsl package.   When I try to use the script I wrote, I get an
> error that led me to suspect the gsl package was a culprit.  When I do
> library("gsl") within R, I get:
>
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>
>   unable to load shared library
> '/home/matt/R/lib64/R/library/gsl/libs/gsl.so':
>
>   /home/matt/R/lib64/R/library/gsl/libs/gsl.so: undefined symbol:
> gsl_sf_expint_En_e
>
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'gsl'
>

> It looks like it is due to where my Linux (not R) gsl package is
> installed.  Robin thought the problem is that I had to install my
Linux
> gsl package in a nontypical location (it's in /usr) because /usr/local
> is not available to us.
>

> He mentioned that others have had this problem.  Has anyone been able
> surmount this problem?
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>

> PS.  I'm running Suse Linux 10.3:
>
> Linux ghidra 2.6.22.19-0.1-default #1 SMP 2008-10-14 22:17:43 +0200
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Matthew J. Hoptman, PhD
> Research Scientist V
> Nathan S. Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research
>
> Research Associate Professor in Psychiatry
> NYU School of Medicine
>

> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail is meant only for the use of the
intended
> recipient. It may contain confidential information which is legally
> privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you received this
> e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to
> you, you are strictly prohibited from reviewing, using, disseminating,
> distributing or copying the e-mail.
>
> PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE
> THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. Thank you for your cooperation.

> Conserve resources. Print only when necessary.
>
> IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail is meant only for the use of the
intended recipient.  It may contain confidential information which is
legally privileged
> or otherwise protected by law.  If you received this e-mail in error
or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are
strictly prohibited
> from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or copying the
e-mail.  PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dr. Martin Becker
Statistics and Econometrics
Saarland University