[Rd] Canberra distance

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 7 07:52:54 CET 2010

This is cetainly ancient R history.  The essence of the formula was
last changed
-	    dist += fabs(x[i1] - x[i2])/(x[i1] + x[i2]);
+	    dist += fabs(x[i1] - x[i2])/fabs(x[i1] + x[i2]);

in October 1998.  The help page description came later.

The
            dist += fabs(x[i1] - x[i2])/(x[i1] + x[i2]);
form was there as 'canberra' in the first CVS archive in September
1997 (as src/library/mva/src/dist.c) so it looks like one of R&R was
the original author and this could be called pre-history.