[Rd] Rcmd SHLIB error

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 12:39:24 CET 2010

On 19/12/2010 6:06 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Dominick Samperi<djsamperi at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
>> <ggrothendieck at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I am getting this error message when I try to run Rcmd SHLIB myprog.c.
>>>   There appears to be a missing / between etc and i386 in the path.  I
>>> am on Windows Vista and am using R version 2.12.1 Patched (2010-12-16
>>> r53864) and just downloaded Rtools 2.12 today.   Is this a bug in R?
>>> How can I resolve this?
>>
>> This is due to new behavior in CYGWIN (the basis for Rtools). The
>> new CYGWIN does not like non-standard paths that have C: in them.
>> Some CYGWIN programs will not work when fed file names using
>> this syntax, but normally this is just a warning. The warning can be
>> suppressed by using the Control Panel to set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning.
>> Another solution is to use POSIX equivalent paths of the form
>> /cydrive/c/PROG..., but this would require more extensive changes
>> to build scripts, etc.
>>
>> There is another change that causes Rtools tar to choke in some
>> circumstances under Windows because it tries to change ownership
>> of the files extracted when it shouldn't. These error
>> messags can be suppressed by using the Control Panel to set
>> TAR_OPTIONS=--no-same-owner.
>>

> I am still wondering what to do about this?  I have created a
> directory called C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-212~1.X\etci386 and have copied
> Makeconf into it.  That lets me use Rcmd SHLIB but its quite an ugly
> workaround and there must be some better resolution than that.  Also I
> am wondering if this same problem will crop up elsewhere.

You could try running within Cygwin, as I do, on the theory that what
works for me might work for you.  I do use the "nodosfilewarning"
setting as Dominick mentioned.

However, I will say that my Windows build system is much less reliable
than it used to be.  I don't know the cause:  I started 64 bit builds on
Windows 7 at around the same time as I upgraded Cygwin, so it could be
any of those causes.  I'm tending to believe it's a Cygwin problem or a
Cygwin-Win7 incompatibility, but I haven't had time to work out a
reliable system.  (Symptoms I see are that very few overnight builds are
succeeding; almost all the ones you see on CRAN/bin/windows/base have
required manual restarts after they've failed partway through.)

Unfortunately, I am not going to have the time to diagnose or fix this
in the next couple of months.  If you have spare time, you might want to
try older versions of the Rtools (perhaps mixing new compilers with old
Rtools/bin and Cygwin DLLs).

Duncan Murdoch