[Rd] Rcmd SHLIB error

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 12:06:41 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Dominick Samperi <djsamperi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
> <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am getting this error message when I try to run Rcmd SHLIB myprog.c.
>>  There appears to be a missing / between etc and i386 in the path.  I
>> am on Windows Vista and am using R version 2.12.1 Patched (2010-12-16
>> r53864) and just downloaded Rtools 2.12 today.   Is this a bug in R?
>> How can I resolve this?
>
> This is due to new behavior in CYGWIN (the basis for Rtools). The
> new CYGWIN does not like non-standard paths that have C: in them.
> Some CYGWIN programs will not work when fed file names using
> this syntax, but normally this is just a warning. The warning can be
> suppressed by using the Control Panel to set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning.
> Another solution is to use POSIX equivalent paths of the form
> /cydrive/c/PROG..., but this would require more extensive changes
> to build scripts, etc.
>
> There is another change that causes Rtools tar to choke in some
> circumstances under Windows because it tries to change ownership
> of the files extracted when it shouldn't. These error
> messags can be suppressed by using the Control Panel to set
> TAR_OPTIONS=--no-same-owner.

I am still wondering what to do about this?  I have created a
directory called C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-212~1.X\etci386 and have copied
Makeconf into it.  That lets me use Rcmd SHLIB but its quite an ugly
workaround and there must be some better resolution than that.  Also I
am wondering if this same problem will crop up elsewhere.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com