[Rd] readline operate-and-get-next

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 12 19:25:23 CEST 2010

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

> Okay, I could not refrain myself and implemented the change in
> src/unix/sys-std.c.  The patch is attached below.  I tested it in the
> 2.11.1 source and it worked fine.  At any rate, the patch applies cleanly
> to the SVN source.
>
> Three notes about this patch:
>
> 1. The code is taken from the bash source (bashline.c) with minimal
>   changes.

Hmm, one of those 'minimal changes' was to omit the copyright and
licence statements.  I very much doubt that you have the right to post
copied code without those, and we certainly do not have the right to
use such code in the R sources.

Bash is currently distributed under a licence that FSF deems
incompatible with that of R, and we would only accept code which can
be (re-)licensed under GPL (>=2).  So it is critical where exactly you
copied this from.

We can only consider code contributions where the provenance and
licensing of the code is clearcut.  That includes your own
contributions, and since you posted from an address which is likely to
be your employer, who owns the copyright of your work needs to be
clear too.

If you provide a patch with these extremely important issues resolved,
we will consider its merits.  But not otherwise.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk