[Rd] unit testing for R packages?

Seth Falcon seth at userprimary.net
Mon Oct 5 21:48:11 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Blair Christian
<blair.christian at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in putting some unit tests into an R package I'm
> building.  I have seen assorted things such as Runit library, svUnit
> library, packages
> with 'tests' directories, etc
>
> I grep'd "unit test" through the writing R extensions manual but didn't find
> anything.  Are there any suggestions out there?  Currently I have
> several (a lot?) classes/methods that I keep tinkering with, and I'd
> like to run a script frequently to check that I don't cause any
> unforeseen problems.

I've had good experiences using RUnit.  To date, I've mostly used
RUnit by putting tests in inst/unitTests and creating a Makefile there
to run the tests.  You should also be able to use RUnit in a more
interactive fashion inside an interactive R session in which you are
doing development.

The vignette in svUnit has an interesting approach for integrating
unit testing into R CMD check via examples in an Rd file within the
package.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | @sfalcon | http://userprimary.net/user