[Rd] Removing cran mirrors

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Nov 3 16:59:34 CET 2009

Hadley Wickham wrote:
>> Fritz does that from time to time. Note that this is always rather
>> cumbersome: trying to contact maintainers whose addresses do not exist any
>> more and so on.
>
> I'd be more draconian - if the mirror doesn't update for two weeks,
> just cut it off automatically.  If they want to get back on the list,
> it's their problem.  It shouldn't be Fritz's problem!

I fully agree with the latter. Anyway, I fear it is his problem, because
we may also (and particularly) want to keep some mirrors in regions of
the world where connectivity and CRAN bandwitdh is an issue.

Note that with such a policy, half CRAN packages wouldn't work anymore,
because then we'd had "cut off" several packages away that are
dependencies for others etc.
Examples for packages we probably should "cut off" now (since they
already caused too much time looking at them) are:

    clusterfly, ggplot2, lvplot, plyr

all of them giving WARNINGS under R-2.10.0 and I guess you know the
miantiner who has been asked by automatical notification to fix the issues.

Best wishes,
Uwe