[Rd] (PR#13735) LM/GLM can't find weights vector from within a function

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 1 10:12:09 CEST 2009

This seems to be as documented.  From ?lm

      All of 'weights', 'subset' and 'offset' are evaluated in the same
      way as variables in 'formula', that is first in 'data' and then in
      the environment of 'formula'.

We don't have a reproducible example and so do not know where rFormula
was defined -- but it seems likely that W is not defined in its
environment.  If you believe otherwise, we need a complete example.

Incidentally, str() reports that W is a 1D array, not a vector.