[Rd] Rcmd check fails on Windows Samba network path in R 2.9.1

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jul 22 18:02:37 CEST 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:28 , Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 7/22/2009 9:10 AM, Kevin R. Coombes wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Thanks; that confirms that the problem originates where I thought
>> it did, and provides a fix from within R.
>> However, the original problem was that running "Rcmd check" from a
>> Windows/DOS command prompt on a package on a mounted Samba network
>> drive fails.  The failure occurs because of the file.access call in
>> "install.R", which appears to get incorrect information from the
>> operating system.  Is it possible to get install.R changed so it
>> works in this situation?
>

> Of course that's possible, but I'd put it at a low priority.  The
> right solution here is to fix Samba.  A simple workaround is to copy
> the package to a non-Samba drive.  Since this is not our bug, and it
> has a simple workaround, I don't want to put an effort into fixing it.

It *is* our bug - this happens on other drives, too, not just samba
(see my "R CMD check failing due to unreliable file.access() on
Windows" post from 7/2 on R-core about this) - hence your advice is
quite far off. Also note that other tools have no issue finding the
correct flags. I thought this is being worked on (according to that
thread)... I'm not saying that file.access() can be fixed easily
(essentially you have to deal with GetFileSecurityW returning
ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED and use the GetFileAttributesW result or something
similar instead), but check surely can use the same old reality-based
check that it used before 2.9.0.

Cheers,
Simon