[Rd] R as a scripting engine

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 13 18:36:00 CET 2009

Oh, well, now that the post count is growing I guess I have to
respond ;).

On Jan 11, 2009, at 15:50 , Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 11 January 2009 at 20:18, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> | Those of you tracking R development will have noticed that we are
> | moving towards using R as a scripting engine.
> [...]
> | Reasons:
> |
> | - it is platform-independent and needs no other tools installed.
> [...]
> | - it is fast.
> [...]
>
> Indeed.  I really like working with r scripts.
>
> And littler by Horner and Eddelbuettel is faster than Rscript -- see
> eg the
> scripts tests/timing.sh and tests/timing2.sh in the SVN archive /
> littler
> tarballs (and the results below for illustration).

Well, if we enter that territory then rcmd from Rserve is much faster
than littler:

  --- GNU bc doing the addition 10 times
real	0m0.029s
user	0m0.009s
sys	0m0.028s

  --- rcmd doing the addition 10 times
real	0m0.090s
user	0m0.010s
sys	0m0.022s

  --- our r doing the addition 10 times
real	0m0.294s
user	0m0.199s
sys	0m0.091s

  --- GNU R's Rscript doing the addition 10 times
real	0m1.626s
user	0m1.241s
sys	0m0.357s

  --- GNU R doing the addition 10 times
real	0m2.883s
user	0m2.424s
sys	0m0.426s

(littler and timig.sh script from http://littler.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
  with loopRcmd added)

Yes, the comparison is unfair, but that applies to littler and Rscript
as well. Once you start making direct comparisons the story is a bit
different:

  --- our r doing the addition 10 times
real	0m0.297s
user	0m0.200s
sys	0m0.091s

  --- GNU R's Rscript doing the addition 10 times
real	0m0.390s
user	0m0.219s
sys	0m0.163s

(Rscript is now run with R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL since that is what
littler really does).

.. and for timing2.sh (again, comparing Rcmd is technically a bit
unfair, but the net effect for the user is good):

  --- rcmd calling summary() 20 times
real	0m0.439s
user	0m0.019s
sys	0m0.045s

  --- our r calling summary() 20 times
real	0m2.619s
user	0m2.089s
sys	0m0.476s

  --- GNU R's Rscript calling summary() 20 times
real	0m2.435s
user	0m1.793s
sys	0m0.590s

  --- GNU R calling summary() 20 times
real	0m5.789s
user	0m4.892s
sys	0m0.829s

so in fact Rscript is here faster than littleR!

(R 2.8.1 32-bit, Mac OS X 10.5.6, bash shell (due to echo bug), Quad
2.66GHz Xeon, littler from SVN, rcmd from SVN, Rserve 0.5-2)

> We should still appreciate it you could finally acknowledge
> existence of littler it in the R / Rscript documentation.   You are
> not doing users any service by pretending it doesn't exist.

I don't think anyone is pretending anything. If users want littler
specifically, they will find it, but I don't see why it should have
anything to do with the R documentation - it's not part of R ...

Cheers,

PS: No, I'm not advertising Rserve here - it has its own place, but I
wouldn't really use it for running random scripts. I have added it to
the mix just to show that there is always a tradeoff, so it's
important to know what is compared in benchmarks...