[Rd] R as a scripting engine

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jan 13 15:46:31 CET 2009

On 1/13/2009 4:33 AM, Wacek Kusnierczyk wrote:
> Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>> On 11 January 2009 at 20:18, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> | Those of you tracking R development will have noticed that we are
>> | moving towards using R as a scripting engine.
>> [...]
>> | Reasons:
>> |
>> | - it is platform-independent and needs no other tools installed.
>> [...]
>> | - it is fast.
>> [...]
>>
>> Indeed.  I really like working with r scripts.
>>
>> And littler by Horner and Eddelbuettel is faster than Rscript -- see eg the
>> scripts tests/timing.sh and tests/timing2.sh in the SVN archive / littler
>> tarballs (and the results below for illustration).
>>
>> We should still appreciate it you could finally acknowledge existence of
>> littler it in the R / Rscript documentation.   You are not doing users any
>> service by pretending it doesn't exist.
>>

> will anyone ever bother to answer?  is silence to be taken as
> acknowledgement, or rather a7e?

You answered, so the naive answer to your first question is yes.

Another naive response is that there probably won't be another answer.

But I don't think your question is really a question, I think it's a
demand, implying you think you are entitled to an answer.  There isn't
really a polite response to that.   You're entitled to demand answers
from companies that you are paying for services (and you often won't get
any useful ones), but you aren't entitled to demand anything from anyone
on this list.  So live with it.

Your second question doesn't make any sense to me: obviously silence is a7s.

Duncan Murdoch