[Rd] forcing the use of the c++ linker with c++ and fortran sources

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 10 08:49:48 CET 2009

You are correct: there is no reason to assume that the F90 compiler
can link C++ nor that the C++ compiler can link F90, and in general
they cannot.  Quite a few systems have a different vendor's F9x
compiler (including say g95 vs gcc3 and SunPro F9x vs gcc4).

Even in a pure gcc4 scenario, each of F9x and C++ needs additional
libaries and R does not know what they are (it only does for F77).
So if linking by g++ works for you, it is fortuitous and not portable.

I suspect adding -lstdc++ will work for you, which you can do via
PKG_LIBS in a Makevars file.

Bottom line: you are asking to do something known not to be portable.
You can use a Makefile to have complete freedom, but please don't
distribute such a package without a configure script to check out all
the assumptions.

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Steve Guerrero wrote:

> Sorry I was a little stingy with details.
>
> I'm building a very simple package on linux with R 2.7.1

Still no details of compilers etc.