[Rd] forcing the use of the c++ linker with c++ and fortran sources

Steve Guerrero guerrero.steve at gene.com
Sat Jan 10 02:31:18 CET 2009

Sorry I was a little stingy with details.

I'm building a very simple package on linux with R 2.7.1
no configure script or homemade makefiles.
my src directory has two files:
src/foo.cpp
src/bar.f90

I run "R CMD install myproject " which runs fine, no errors, and
produces a shared library

i.e.:
gfortran -fdefault-real-8 -ffixed-form -fpic -g -O2 -c  GLMnet.f90 -o
bar.f90
g++ (all the right flags) -fpic  -g -O2 -c foo.cpp -o foo.o

and the link step:

gfortran -shared -L/usr/local/lib64 -o myproject.so baro foo.o
-L/apps/R/R-2.7.1/x86_64-linux-2.6/lib64/R/lib -lR

The build goes fine, the problem is when I load the library I get this
error:
library(myproject)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared library myproject.so
   undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'myproject'

If I manually run the link step with g++ instead of gfortran, the
library loads fine, everything works.

I need to tell the R build process to not link with gfortran but to link
with g++ in my mixed c++ and fortran scenario.  A little digging into
the R SHLIB build script suggests that I probably can't override it
without cooking up my Makefiles

Here's an excerpt from the R SHLIB script:

makeargs="SHLIB=\"${shlib}\""
if ${with_f9x}; then
     makeargs="SHLIB_LDFLAGS='\$(SHLIB_FCLDFLAGS)' ${makeargs}"
     makeargs="SHLIB_LD='\$(SHLIB_FCLD)' ${makeargs}"
else
   if ${with_cxx}; then
     makeargs="SHLIB_LDFLAGS='\$(SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS)' ${makeargs}"
     makeargs="SHLIB_LD='\$(SHLIB_CXXLD)' ${makeargs}"
   fi
   if ${with_f77}; then
     if ${with_objc}; then
       shlib_libadd="\$(OBJC_LIBS) ${shlib_libadd}"
     fi
     if test -z "${shlib_libadd}"; then
       makeargs="${makeargs} SHLIB_LIBADD='\$(FLIBS)'"
     else
       makeargs="${makeargs} SHLIB_LIBADD='\$(FLIBS) ${shlib_libadd}'"
     fi
   else
     if ${with_objc}; then
       makeargs="${makeargs} SHLIB_LIBADD='\$(OBJC_LIBS)'"
     fi
   fi
fi

This logic seems to suggest that if there are fortran95 sources, the LD
command will be SHLIB_FCLD...with no apparent way to override it.

Am I mistaken?

Thanks,
-sg