[Rd] X11 fails to open (PR#13543)

clyde at stat.duke.edu clyde at stat.duke.edu
Fri Feb 20 04:00:05 CET 2009

Full_Name: Merlise Clyde
Version: 2.8.1
OS: MAC OS X 10.4.1
Submission from: (NULL) (24.199.155.61)

I am running R under X11 on the MAC OS X 10.4.11 and have been having
problems with X11 graphics since upgrading to  2.8.+

> plot(1:10)
Error in X11(d$display, d$width, d$height, d$pointsize, d$gamma, d$colortype,  :

  unable to start device X11cairo
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In function (display = "", width, height, pointsize, gamma, bg,  :
  X11 protocol error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
2: In function (display = "", width, height, pointsize, gamma, bg,  :
  cairo error 'out of memory'

I run R under emacs so the display is being set correctly and the device would
open
under previous verions.
I am also encoutering a related problem with running R  2.8.0/2.8.1 on a
remote unix box and displaying back to the MAC, where any attempts to
open an X11() device causes R to hang.

Thanks,
Merlise Clyde

--please do not edit the information below--

Version:
 platform = i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
 arch = i386
 os = darwin8.11.1
 system = i386, darwin8.11.1
 status =
 major = 2
 minor = 8.1
 year = 2008
 month = 12
 day = 22
 svn rev = 47281
 language = R
 version.string = R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)

Locale:

Search Path:
 .GlobalEnv, package:stats, package:graphics, package:grDevices, package:utils,
package:datasets, package:methods, Autoloads, package:base