[Rd] re ading SPSS .sav files (PR#13509)

HBaize HBaize at buttecounty.net
Sat Feb 14 00:53:24 CET 2009

Repeated trials have produced no crashes with SPSS sav files from version
10.0.5, 11.0, 12.0, or 14.0. SPSS sav files from Version 17.0 consistently
crashes R. Some version 13.0 files will crash R. The version 13.0 files that
crash R were sent to me by a colleague. My locally produced 13.0 files
(generated in 2005) do not crash R.

On a trial read of a SPSS version 17.0 file the first run produced these
messages:

Warning messages:
1: In read.spss("H:/groups/evaluations/ccoc/data/testRcrash.sav",
to.data.frame = TRUE) :
  H:/groups/evaluations/ccoc/data/testRcrash.sav: File-indicated character
representation code (1252) looks like a Windows codepage
2: In read.spss("H:/groups/evaluations/ccoc/data/testRcrash.sav",
to.data.frame = TRUE) :
  H:/groups/evaluations/ccoc/data/testRcrash.sav: Unrecognized record type
7, subtype 20 encountered in system file

These messages are similar to warnings that R use to generate in reading
SPSS files from version 12.0 and later.

The second try to read that file in the same session crashed R.

I will upload an SPSS 17.0 file to my web space in a few hours and post the
location.