[Rd] Rcpp: Clarifying the meaning of GPL?

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 22:42:12 CET 2009

One critical aspect to this is the fact that RcppTemplate seems to
have been where the Rcpp work moved to _before_ abandoning the Rcpp
project.

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/RcppTemplate/

So the 'namespace' of Rcpp was left with seemingly no public intention
of picking it up.

One of the strengths of GPL is that a package can live on when the
original author has chosen to go a different route.  Rcpp was
maintained by another person (with backward compatibility I think) to
likely not break his (and other's) code.

I don't think it is in the best interest of the community to break
existing code, just because one would like to have complete control
over the end product.

Plus, everyone benefits from competition.  And we have a good one here.

My 2c ;-)

Jeff