[Rd] Problem with standard generic methods in Matrix package

sloiseau at limsi.fr sloiseau at limsi.fr
Wed Aug 26 09:37:34 CEST 2009

I have posted this message on r-lang, but it is perhaps more appropriate
on r-devel:

---

Hello,

I'm puzzled by a problem with call to diag(), rowSums(), rownames() on
objects of class "dgtMatrix", created by sparseMatrix() or spMatrix().

I use Matrix 0.999375-30.

The weird thing is that I don't encounter any problem when I use this
functions on the R prompt, or source()-ing a script file; I encounter
problems when the code is in a package, installed with R CMD INSTALL, and
loaded with library().

I have tried to reduce the package to the bare minimum in order to
discover the problem, but it continue even when reduced up to a single

method, no dependency other than Matrix. The method is defined as:

---

getAdjacentAsSparseMatrix <- function() {

     adjacents <- sparseMatrix(i=1:10, j=1:10, x=1:10)

     print(class(adjacents));

     diagonal <- as.vector(diag(adjacents));

     if (any(diagonal != 0)) {

       diagonal[diagonal > 1] <- 1;

       diag(adjacents) <- diagonal;

      }

     return(adjacents);

}

---

And the Depends field in ./DESCRIPTION :

---

Depends: R (>= 2.5.0), Matrix

---

I have this outputs:

[1] "dgTMatrix"

Erreur dans y[1L + 0L:(m - 1L) * (n + 1L)] <- x :

     types (de S4 a double) incompatibles dans l'ajustement d'affectation de

type

> traceback()

3: diag(adjacents)

2: as.vector(diag(adjacents))

1: getAdjacentAsSparseMatrix(white3)

The same thing happens with the method rowSums(), colnames() and
rownames(). In brief, it looks as if the generic functions were called,

and not the overloaded ones. I can't figure out how to fix that, and will
be interested in any pointers.

Best,

Sylvain