[Rd] Problems opening R (PR#13908)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 26 11:07:46 CEST 2009

Please use R-sig-mac to ask questions about Mac OS X.

In particular do not use R-bugs to ask questions.  There may be a bug
here, but there is nothing to reproduce and it may not be in R (it may
be in R.app, the GUI).

How about uninstalling R (not re-installing)?  See the R-MacOS FAQ,
e.g.
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#How-can-R-for-Mac-OS-X-be-uninstalled_003f

You might also want to remove any startup files (.RData in particular)
or your preferences (in case they got trashed).

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, lisazang at caltech.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems opening R on MAC OSX. It was working fine, then I
> tried using the fix() command on one of my data sources. R froze, so I
> re-started it. R would not open, the icon kept bouncing in the dock. I
> have tried reinstalling the program, but every time the installer says
> it is "updating" instead of installing - I'm not sure how to
> completely erase R from the system. What should I do?

Read the FAQ ....