[Rd] Cannot make 3 different R installations for 3 different valgrind-instrumentation levels

pleydell at supagro.inra.fr pleydell at supagro.inra.fr
Tue Aug 25 18:31:31 CEST 2009

"R Installation and Administration", section 2.5 "Sub-architectures" describes
calling specific builds of R using the call "R --arch=name". I am trying to
build and install three versions of R-2.9.1, each configured with a different
valgrind-instrumentation level ("Writing R Extensions", section 4.3.2 "Using
valgrind"). My goal is to be able to choose which install I launch so that I
can
choose among the valgrind levels with commands such as

R --arch=valgrind0 -d valgrind --vanilla < myPkg.R
or
R --arch=valgrind1 -d valgrind --vanilla < myPkg.R
or
R --arch=valgrind2 -d valgrind --vanilla < myPkg.R

R-2.9.1.tar.gz is unzipped to /usr/local/src/R-2.9.1 and I have tried executing
(several variations of) the following code from that directory

sudo ./configure --enable-memory-profiling --with-valgrind-instrumentation=2
r_arch=vg2 --with-recommended-packages=no
sudo make
sudo make install rhome=/usr/local/lib/R-2.9.1_vg2
sudo ./configure --enable-memory-profiling --with-valgrind-instrumentation=1
r_arch=vg1 --with-recommended-packages=no
sudo make
sudo make install rhome=/usr/local/lib/R-2.9.1_vg1
sudo ./configure --enable-memory-profiling --with-valgrind-instrumentation=0
r_arch=vg0 --with-recommended-packages=no
sudo make
sudo make install rhome=/usr/local/lib/R-2.9.1_vg0

using this approach the second "sudo make" results in error.

I also tried installing from three seperate copies of the R-2.9.1 directory i.e.
from

/usr/local/src/R-2.9.1_valgrind0
/usr/local/src/R-2.9.1_valgrind1
/usr/local/src/R-2.9.1_valgrind2

with this set up the above code runs without error and the shell command "R
--arch=valgrind0" works (level zero being the level used in the most recent
install) but the shell commands "R --arch=valgrind1" and "R --arch=valgrind2"
result in error messages.

I can't figure out how to get this working, although it seems perfectly natural
to want to do this. It would be great if someone could point me in the right
direction and perhaps a workable example could be added to the "R Installation
and Administration" document too.

I am running a recent install of Ubuntu (Jaunty) on a 32 bit laptop with all
previous R installations removed / uninstalled.

thanks
David