[Rd] crash after using graphics in Rcmdr (PR#13679)

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Apr 30 15:29:33 CEST 2009

Dear Neil,

I had R 2.8.0 installed on my Mac Book, also with OS X 10.5.6, and was
unable to duplicate this problem. I then installed R 2.9.0 and observed the
same problem that you did. In both cases, I used the latest version of the
Rcmdr package, 1.4-10.

I also observed the following: (1) The problem occurred only if I closed the
Quartz graphics device after the first graph was plotted; if I plotted
another graph and then closed the device, the problem did not occur. (2) The
problem did not occur if I ran R from a terminal with an X11 graphics device
rather than using R.app.

I'm afraid that there's not much more that I can do at this point, since my
familiarity with Macs is minimal. I'm copying this message to Rob Goedman,
who has proven helpful in the past. Of course, if there's something in the
Rcmdr that's causing the problem and I can fix it, I will.

Regards,
 John

On
> Behalf Of nhepburn at ualberta.ca
> Sent: April-28-09 1:25 PM
> To: r-devel at stat.math.ethz.ch
> Cc: R-bugs at r-project.org
> Subject: [Rd] crash after using graphics in Rcmdr (PR#13679)
>
> Full_Name: Neil Hepburn
> Version: 2.81 and 2.90
> OS: OS-X 10.5.6
> Submission from: (NULL) (142.244.28.93)
>

> When I create graphs using Rcmdr and then close the quartz display, R
blows
> up
> and tells me of a segmentation fault. It then gives me
>  *** caught segfault ***
> address 0xc0000023, cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
> >
> Selection:
>
> This only happens if I create the graphics from within Rcmdr. If I create
the
> graphics manually, there is no problem. This occurs on my laptop with R
2.8.1
> (I
> uninstalled 2.9 and reinstall 2.8.1 to see if the problem existed there)
and