[Rd] License status of CRAN packages

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Apr 23 23:00:28 CEST 2009

On 23 April 2009 at 15:35, Marc Schwartz wrote:
| There is a list of acceptable entries that are defined as part of the
| specs in R-exts (see page 4). Perhaps this needs to be "tightened" a
| bit, at least in so far as packages passing R CMD check for the
| purpose of inclusion on CRAN. That would include perhaps altering the
| ability to use the 'file LICENSE' option, which at present leaves the
| door wide open for non-standard approaches. It may also have to check
| for DEPENDS and whether they too are on CRAN and passed the
| appropriate license checks.

Exactly.

| Packages that fail this check should not be included on CRAN and the
| package author would then be obligated to find other distribution
| resources or contact the CRAN maintainers to advocate that their
| licensing schema should be acceptable.
|
| Then the end user can at least have some comfort in knowing that
| anything they get from CRAN comes under a compatible license for
| general use without restriction. They would have to intentionally use
| other sources for packages that fail the CRAN requirements.

Exactly.  I think we may have to work on tightening the standards of CRAN
re-distribution.

| If other distribution venues, such as Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora elect to

cran2deb does not have inclusion to Debian in mind. What Charles and I are
thinking about is something aking to the Windows situation: suitable i386 and
amd64 binaries (for Debian Linux) provided from CRAN for as many packages as
possible.

Dirk