[Rd] print.closure at the R level

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 21 16:13:42 CEST 2009

    RF> Hello,

    RF> Sorry if I have waisted any time of people truing this
    RF> patch.

    MM> yes, you did waste (sic) ....  but thank you for the
    MM> code suggestions anyway.

    RF> There was an issue with debugging (use of debug and
    RF> browser that caused an infinite recursion). I think this
    RF> is now fixed.

    MM> [ actually I had found even simpler bugs in it, e.g.
    MM> you accidentally called C-level "print.function()" on
    MM> "language", some may have been fixed by your new patch
    MM> too, but others are not {e.g., print() *must* return its
    MM> argument !}  ]

    MM> However, I've already changed your old patch too much
    MM> (notably by using *our* C coding standards) to want to
    MM> look at your new patch in detail.

    MM> If you want we can communicate off-list about this,
    MM> tomorrow...
{and we did}

It turns out to be considerably more tricky than I had
anticipated...

Note that we also really want auto-printing and print()ing to be
equivalent,
and that is not even the case for .Primitives in current R :

  function (..., recursive = FALSE)  .Primitive("c")
  > print(c)
  function (..., recursive = FALSE)

{for "obvious" reasons, but needing even more work ...}

Also, Romain was "right" insofar as he would have wanted to only
deal with closure, whereas of course Duncan was right that the
corresponding class is 'function' and that comprises other types
(in the 'typeof' sense).

[story to be continued ...]

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich