[Rd] packages in Depends field and NAMESPACES

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 18:08:31 CEST 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Kenneth Knoblauch wrote:

> Must packages in the Depends field of the DESCRIPTION file have
> NAMESPACES?  I haven't seen this explicitly indicated anywhere.

No such requirememt.

> I am writing a small package and find that when I add the abind
> package to the list of the Depends field, I get an error in
> R CMD check of the build.
>
> * checking package name space information ... OK
> * checking package dependencies ... ERROR
> Packages required but not available:
> abind

I expect it is in a non-default library tree. From 'Writing R Extensions'

     Note: R CMD check and R CMD build run R with --vanilla, so none of the
     user's startup files are read. If you need R_LIBS set (to find
     packages in a non-standard library) you will need to set it in the
     environment.