[Rd] Wishlist - better object.size() function

Benjamin Hofner Benjamin.Hofner at imbe.med.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Nov 18 14:30:36 CET 2008

Some time ago I came across the function object.size() to estimate the
size of an R object. I don't know if the behavior of the function is
intended to be quite "user unfriendly" as it is right now or if just
nobody was thinking/caring about it.

I have two suggestions to improve it:
- Why is it named object.size() and not just size()? The latter would be
far more intuitive and shorter and as far as I know there is no other
function size (in the base distribution).
- Why is the function returning the size in bytes? This is (in most
cases) overly accurate and for humans hard to read. I would suggest to
have it printed in mb per default and additionally add a switch to
choose the appropriate unit.

This is a first proposal:

size <- function(x, type=c("mb","byte","kb","gb"), digits=3){
     type <- match.arg(type)
     RET <- switch(type,
                   byte = object.size(x),
                   kb = object.size(x)/1024,
                   mb = object.size(x)/(1024^2),
                   gb = object.size(x)/(1024^3))
     cat(round(RET,digits), type, "\n")
     invisible(RET)
}

I think this would improve the usability of the function a lot.

Thanks,
   Benjamin

Dipl.-Stat. Benjamin Hofner

Institut für Medizininformatik, Biometrie und Epidemiologie
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
Waldstr. 6 - 91054 Erlangen - Germany

Tel: +49-9131-85-22707
Fax: +49-9131-85-25740

http://www.imbe.med.uni-erlangen.de/~hofnerb/