[Rd] (PR#13195) Can't open files containing russian letters in path

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 18:48:29 CET 2008

Thanks, I have found the problem.  It is *far* less extensive than you
claimed, affecting only a couple of menu items.

The problem is the C-level function consolecmd, which was passing Unicode
characters to storekey.  That used to be correct, but the changes made by
the Japanese to incorporate their IME had inter alia broken consolecmd in
non-Latin-1 single byte locales.

This looks like the explanation for the vague problem reported with the
script editor, which uses consolecmd to submit commands (whereas the pager
does not).

Note that those file choice dialog boxes are only intended to work in the
native encoding, so you can only choose a file name in Russian in a
Russian version of Windows.  That made tracking this down more than a
little tedious.