[Rd] (PR#13195) Can't open files containing russian letters in path

Alexey Ivanov Alexey.Ivanov at ksu.ru
Tue Nov 4 17:47:51 CET 2008

Thanks for the attention.
So my windows locale is Russian (Cyrillic, Win-1251). I installed
R-2.8.0-win32.exe. I've got a
file with Cyrillic letters in its name, for example "C:\жжж.txt".
When I try to open it from R
menu "File->Source R code ..." it produces an error:

> source("C:\\666.txt")
Error in file(file, "r", encoding = encoding) :
  cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(file, "r", encoding = encoding) :
  cannot open file 'C:\666.txt': No such file or directory

the Cyrillic letters "жжж" in this case are somehow replaced with
"666"

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Can we please have a reproducible example, as well as all the
details
> requested in the posting guide.
>
> There are literally tens of different ways to 'open files' in
R, and