[Rd] Linux installation

Michael Steinbeck-Reeves michael at steinbeck-reeves.co.uk
Fri May 9 15:01:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 15:17 -0500, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> on 05/08/2008 10:39 AM Michael Steinbeck-Reeves wrote:
> > I have just installed R under Linux and had a tricky time finding
out
> >  that I needed to install r-devel as it was not suggested by yum and
> > does not appear in any of the FAQs. Everything was fine until I
tried
> > to install tseries then I was told in the compiler output that R.h
> > was missing. Obviously a search on Google proved fruitless and I was
> > forced to ask on r-help. I am now kicking myself, of course, but
> > wouldn't it be a useful addition to the R installation FAQs,
> > especially for those not acquainted with the C compiler output?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Michael
>
> The need for the -devel RPMS is referenced in the R Installation and
> Administration Manual in Appendix A and Appendix C.

You are quite right - it is mentioned but you need to know that you are
looking for it to find it - my initial thought was to look for R.h which
was a total waste of time of course.

All I suggested was that for the new user it might be helpful to have it
mentioned in the FAQs or, even better, in the Linux installation
section.

Michael.

> yum won't pick it up because the -devel RPM is not required to run R,
> which is the case BTW for most applications installed using yum on
RPM
> based Linux systems.
>
> yum won't reference 'suggested RPMs', only those actually required to
> run an application.
>
> However, if you are going to be doing any compilation of source code
> against an RPM installed application, you will need the -devel RPMS,
> which contain the required header (.h) files, among other things.
Again,

--
Michael Steinbeck-Reeves

www.steinbeck-reeves.co.uk