[Rd] embedFonts() side-effect under 2.6.2 ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Mar 6 03:26:14 CET 2008

On 5 March 2008 at 17:26, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| I received the following as a Debain bug report (cf
| http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=469560)
|
|    To reproduce:
|
|    1) Run the following commands:
|
|    filename <- 'test.pdf'
|    pdf(filename)
|    plot(1:10)
|    dev.off()
|
|    2) Open test.pdf (I use Evince, but the same with Adobe Acrobat). Make
|       sure there are ten hollow points in the plot. This is correct.
|
|    3) Run command
|
|    embedFonts(filename)
|
|    4) Open test.pdf again. The points are now solid.
|
|    The bug was introduced in one of the recent versions (I think in
|    2.6.x). I'm ready to provide any additional info.
|
| I don;t have r-devel (or r-patched) handy right now.

Now I do. With the tarball of R-devel aka the future R 2.7.0 (svn r44677), we

  a) the same result of a bad R / gs interaction turning the bullets if we
     use pdf() and the embedFonts()

  b) however, using the shiny new cairo_pdf() device, no such problem arises.

So, given the bug report against R 2.6.2 and the continued problem under R
2.7.0, is this a valid problem?  Or is it just a side-effect of ghostscript
manipulating the file ?

Dirk