[Rd] Posting Guide - help.request() function?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 9 22:45:23 CEST 2008

    HT> Thanks for the helpful tips and suggestions, I'll work
    HT> them in. You get local versions of the documents on Unix
    HT> too - RShowDoc() will do the trick.

    HT> I'll post an updated version in due course,

Thank you, Heather and Gabor (and the other contributors).
Indeed, I too like the idea of providing a new R function for
this.
Ideally, Heather, you'd try to "factor out" some of the common
functionality of bug.report() and help.request() into a few
utils-namespace hidden auxiliary functions.

Ideally, you'd attach text/plain attachments (base64 encoded) so
there won't be line wrap arounds.

Martin

    HT> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
    >> That's an excellent idea.
    >>
    >> One other item that could be checkable would be if the
    >> user has the most recent versions of the packages
    >> involved in the query.  Perhaps it could display the
    >> unupdated packages and ask the user if any of those are
    >> involved in the query.
    >>
    >> Probably needs to give fair warning that it is sending
    >> off an email so people don't wind up sending out emails
    >> when they are really just trying out the system.
    >> Probably "none" should be the default for email so that
    >> its not regarded as obnoxious.
    >>
    >> Might be nice if it used local versions of documents if
    >> they exist locally.  On Windows they do.
    >>
    >> Check out ?getRversion
    >>
    >> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Dr Heather Turner
    >> <Heather.Turner at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
    >>> Whilst it is a good idea to improve the posting guide,
    >>> it seems to me that it would be useful to have a
    >>> function along the lines of bug.report(), to help a
    >>> potential questioner make sure they have done their
    >>> homework and have the relevant information to put into a
    >>> post to R-help.
    >>>
    >>> Even those of us who know what ought to go into a post
    >>> can sometimes forget to check something obvious - I
    >>> recently got caught out by not checking an error was
    >>> reproducible in the patched version for example.
    >>>
    >>> So I have written a help.request() function (see below),
    >>> which - prompts the user to check the relevant
    >>> resources, stopping and opening the relevant url where
    >>> necessary - checks their R version is up-to-date (in a
    >>> rather messy way - please suggest improvements!)  -
    >>> prompts them to prepare appropriate example code and
    >>> test it in a fresh R session - prompts them to give a
    >>> meaningful subject line - automatically adds system info
    >>> to the post (as in bug.report) - sends the message for
    >>> them (ensuring a fresh thread is started)
    >>>
    >>> Is this an idea worth taking further? I would be happy
    >>> to make improvements as suggested and write a help file
    >>> if so.
    >>>
    >>> Heather

    >>> help.request <- function (subject = "", ccaddress =
    >>> Sys.getenv("USER"), method = getOption("mailer"),
    >>> address = "r-help at R-project.org", file =
    >>> "R.help.request") { no <- function(answer) answer == "n"
    >>> yes <- function(answer) answer == "y" go <-
    >>> function(url) { cat("Please do this first - the site has
    >>> been loaded in your web browser\n") browseURL(url) }
    >>> cat("Checklist:\n") post <- readline("Have you read the
    >>> posting guide? (y/n) ") if (no(post))
    >>> return(go("http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html"))
    >>> FAQ <- readline("Have you checked the FAQ? (y/n) ") if
    >>> (no(FAQ))
    >>> return(go("http://cran.r-project.org/faqs.html")) intro
    >>> <- readline("Have you checked An Introduction to R?
    >>> (y/n) ") if (no(intro))
    >>> return(go("http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html"))
    >>> NEWS <- readline("Have you checked the NEWS of the
    >>> latest development release? (y/n) ") if (no(NEWS))
    >>> return(go("https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/NEWS"))
    >>> rsitesearch <- readline("Have you looked on RSiteSearch?
    >>> (y/n) ") if (no(rsitesearch)) { cat("Please do this
    >>> first - the site has been loaded in your web browser\n")
    >>> return(RSiteSearch(subject)) } inf <- sessionInfo() if
    >>> ("otherPkgs" %in% names(inf)){ other <- readline("You
    >>> have packages other than the base packages loaded.",
    >>> "\nIf your query relates to one of these, have you ",
    >>> "checked any corresponding books/manuals \nand ",
    >>> "considered contacting the package maintainer?  (y/n/NA)
    >>> ") if(no(other)) return("Please do this first.")  }
    >>>
    >>> man <- url("http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html") ver
    >>> <- scan(man, what = character(0), sep = "\n", skip = 13,
    >>> nlines = 1, quiet = TRUE) major <-
    >>> as.numeric(substr(ver, start = 18, stop = 18)) minor <-
    >>> as.numeric(substr(ver, start = 20, stop = 22)) if (major
    >>> < as.numeric(R.Version()$major) || minor <
    >>> as.numeric(R.Version()$major)) { update <-
    >>> readline("Your R version is out-of-date, would you like
    >>> to update now? (y/n) ") if (yes(update)) {
    >>> return(go(getOption("repos"))) } } ## To get long
    >>> prompt!  cat("Have you written example code that is\n",
    >>> "- minimal\n - reproducible\n - self-contained\n -
    >>> commented", "\nusing data that is either\n", "-
    >>> constructed by the code\n - loaded by data()\n", "-
    >>> reproduced using dump(\"mydata\", file = \"\")\n") code
    >>> <- readline(paste("have you checked this code in a fresh
    >>> R session", "\n(invoking R with the --vanilla option if
    >>> possible)", "\nand is this code copied to the clipboard?
    >>> (y/n) ")) if (no(code)) return(cat("\nIf your query is
    >>> not directly related to code", "(e.g. a general query
    >>> \nabout R's capabilities),", "email R-help at r-project.org
    >>> directly. ", "\nOtherwise prepare some example code
    >>> first.\n")) change <- readline(paste("Would you like to
    >>> change your subject line:\n", subject, "\nto something
    >>> more meaningful? (y/n) ")) if (yes(change)) subject <-
    >>> readline("Enter subject: \n")
    >>>
    >>> methods <- c("mailx", "gnudoit", "none", "ess") method
    >>> <- if (is.null(method)) "none" else
    >>> methods[pmatch(method, methods)] body <-
    >>> paste("\\n<<Write your query here, using your example
    >>> code to
    illustrate> ",
    >>> "\\n<<End with your name and affiliation>>\\n\\n\\n\\n",
    >>> "--please do not edit the information below--\\n\\n",
    >>> "Version:\\n ", paste(names(R.version), R.version, sep =
    >>> " = ", collapse = "\\n "), if
    >>> (nzchar(Sys.getenv("R_GUI_APP_VERSION")))
    >>> paste("\\n\\nGUI:\\n R-GUI ",
    >>> Sys.getenv("R_GUI_APP_VERSION"), " (",