[Rd] build packages with vignettes in Windows

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 30 22:01:32 CEST 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 4/30/2008 11:56 AM, Michael wrote:
>> On 29 Apr 2008, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>
>>> Right, you don't need to set the system path for everything, but
>>> you do
>>> need to set it in CMD (or other shell) before running Rcmd.
>> For Win 2K/XP/Vista, the system path can be set (through the GUI
>> interface,
>> not sure how to do it with scripts) without restarting, for new CMD
>> processes started afterwards.
>
> Sure, but the installer doesn't know how to do that.  It just sets
> the path in the registry; it doesn't know how to give Explorer a
> kick to get it to reload from there.  As far as I know there's no
> documented way to do that.

FWIW the PATH setting is effective immediately (at least on 2k/
XP ...). Any new shell you start (e.g. using Run..) will have the
updated PATH already.

I was always very skeptical as editing PATH in the installer is
concerned (and I have always declined any automated changes), but I
really love the feature that allows me to edit the whole PATH
interactively in an editor-like window.

Also note that the rebooting is optional, you can still safely decline
it so I see no reason why that should deter anyone.

Cheers,
Simon