[Rd] graphics::Axis loosing S3/S4 class attributes of 'x' in 2.7.0 RC

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 22 16:26:58 CEST 2008

    OlegS> So if plot(x) produced rubbish in 2.6.2 in sense of axis formatting
    OlegS> would not that mean that either plot.POSIXct or in fact Axis.POSIXct is
    OlegS> incorrectly defined? I will have a look at those to see if I can find a
    OlegS> fix.

Me too.

    OlegS> Anyway, it does not seem to have any sense to argue any further, because
    OlegS> for me documented and logical are not the same things.

It still makes much sense to discuss further.

I agree with you that the change 2.6.2 -> 2.7.0  fixed one problem
but introduced another one.

2.7.1 (and before that "2.7.0 patched") should hopefully be
better than both 2.6.2 and 2.7.0

My current version is

    if (axes) {
	localAxis(if(is.null(y)) xy$x else x, side = 1, ...)
	localAxis(if(is.null(y))  x   else y, side = 2, ...)
    }

which is I think better already than either predecessor;
it definitely is compatible with Rversion <= 2.6.2 when both
(x,y) are specified,
and it produces the correct axes in these three cases:

## Axis() calls via plot()
x <- as.Date("2008-04-22 09:45") + (i <- 0:4)
plot(x)# not ok in 2.6.2, nor 2.7.0
plot(x, i)# ok in 2.6.2  and 2.7.0
plot(i, x)# ok in 2.6.2 and not in 2.7.0

I'm grateful for further examples, preferably not using code
from packages outside of "standard R".

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    OlegS> This "fix" effectively makes Axis.POSIXct and all other Axis.* methods
    OlegS> useless as there is now no despatch on Axis taking place in plot.default
    OlegS> and thus it is not clear why Axis and not Axis.default is actually used?
    OlegS> This would at least make the code cleaner. I was thinking that the idea
    OlegS> of methods is actually to have different implementations depending on
    OlegS> the argument class rather than coerce everything to double and use the
    OlegS> default instead.

    OlegS> Dr Oleg Sklyar
    OlegS> Technology Group
    OlegS> Man Investments Ltd