[Rd] Using Rtools in Unix environment

Kyeongmi Cheon katie.cheon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:44:05 CEST 2008

The previous mail I wrote was bounced for some reason and I'm writing
it again...

I have used Rtools in windows to call C from R but my computer does
not have enough memory for my current project. So I'm trying to use
Rtools in the high performance computer at my school. The guy who
handles the HPC says it's Unix and I have three questions:

1. I found from the web that Unix has compilers in itself. Then do I
need to install only the rest (Perl,Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop) or
anything else? Or no need to install anything?

2. Should I still set the path as written in the manual for Windows?
--no space in any file/folder names
--the directory containing the command line tools comes first or
second in the path

3. The person in charge of HPC says it's unix but the school web has info on it:
pSeries cluster-Each nodes have 16 IBM Power5+ CPUs at 1.5 GHz, and 64
GB of RAM or IBM Power5+ CPUs (1.9 GHz) and 16 GB of RAM each. All
pSeries nodes run IBM AIX 5.3

Do you think I can use my C codes and R codes I already wrote in
windows? Or should I write my codes in unix all over? I never used
unix before and have no idea on it. If anyone could help, I would
appreciate that.

Kyeongmi

University of Memphis