[Rd] Locale problems with too-fancy quotes in Windows CMD.exe

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 21:02:31 CEST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Martin Morgan wrote:

> 'Fancy' quotes are displayed incorrectly when running R from Windows'
> CMD shell (Start -> Run -> CMD; latin small letter ae and capital
> letter AE; as a script or interactively)). Is this a system
> configuration issue, and if so how can I correct it?

Yes, use chcp in the terminal or use options(fancyQuotes=FALSE) in R.

Since you are I suppose (I am for some reason supposed to be able to
divine, as you don't say and nor does your email address) in the USA, chcp
1252 is probably what you need.  Ask Microsoft why it sets up terminals in
a different codepage from the Windows' session running: it baffles many
people.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk