[Rd] Windows Vista Issues

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 14:45:37 CEST 2007

Mark Difford wrote:
> Hi Dominick,
>
> No offence intended, but I have been running R (presently 2.5.1.patched) on
> a Vista (Home Basic) machine without a hitch since March 2007.  Initially I
> had to turn off "User Account Control" to install new packages, but that was
> a known issue.  I still run it that way, though it's not necessary anymore
> (to have a truly smooth R).  You really don't need it switched on if you
> have decent anti-virus stuff &c.
>
> Regards,
> Mark Difford.

Yes, I found the UAC trick, and the fact that most people turn it off
suggests to me that the
security policy was not executed very well. I agree with Uwe that my
posting was a bit off topic, having
more to do with Windows Vista hacks than with R, but I thought this
mailing list is read by
technical/developer types who might appreciate my comments.

I don't think you will find any info about WinZip/ZipGenius
compatibility issues in the
Windows Vista docs, and the main purpose of my posting was to share what
I learned
with this mailing list. But by all means for R packaging purposes
everyone should use
the approved/tested zip that is part of Brian Ripley's Rtools collection.

I'll have to remember to stay on topic in the future.

Dominick