[Rd] Cell or PS3 Port

Ed Knutson ed at sixfoursystems.com
Sat Oct 27 17:35:29 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am interested in optimizing some of R's vector math functions to
utilize the SPE units of the Cell processor (commonly found in the
Playstation 3) and I am wondering if anyone has already done any work in
that area.  I can't find anything using the search page or Google.
(Admittedly it is difficult to search for information on a
one-letter-named programming language whose contributed documentation
intrinsically refers to "cells" frequently. :)  I'm assuming it will be
possible to compile R under a PS3 version of Linux, since it has a ppc64
architecture and R already runs on OS X.  Are there any known caveats to
compiling R for a distro like Ubuntu with X11 support?

I'm just going through the Cell SDK documentation at this point so it
will be a few days before I really get into the guts of it.  Any
information would be greatly appreciated.

-Ed