[Rd] R CMD build and et_EE.UTF-8 locale -> invalid files (PR#10351)

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Oct 17 09:58:04 CEST 2007

otoomet at ut.ee wrote:
> Full_Name: Ott Toomet
> Version: 2.6.0, 2.5.x
> OS: debian etch, lenny
> Submission from: (NULL) (80.235.63.243)
>

> When building a package with 'R CMD build name_of_directory" using "et_EE.UTF-8"
> locale, I get the following:
>
> siim at tancredi:~/tyyq/econ/micEcon$ R CMD build trunk
> * checking for file 'trunk/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * preparing 'trunk':
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> * checking whether 'INDEX' is up-to-date ... NO
> * use '--force' to overwrite the existing 'INDEX'
> * removing junk files
> * excluding invalid files from 'micEcon'
> Subdirectory 'R' contains invalid file names:
>   testConsist.R tobit2fit.R tobit2.R tobit5fit.R translogCalc.R
>   translogDeriv.R translogEst.R translogHessian.R translogMonoRestr.R
>   utils.R vcov-methods.R vcov.selection.R writeFront41in.R
> Subdirectory 'man' contains invalid file names:
>   testConsist.Rd tobit2fit.Rd translogCalc.Rd translogDeriv.Rd
>   translogEst.Rd translogHessian.Rd triang.Rd vcov-methods.Rd
>   vcov.selection.Rd vecli2m.Rd veclipos.Rd vecli.Rd writeFront41in.Rd
> * checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
> * checking for empty or unneeded directories
> * building 'micEcon_0.3-8.tar.gz'
>
> Of course, the package does not work because of removal of these files.  It is
> hard for me to see anything illegal in the listed file names.  Even more,
> everything works perfectly, if I run the command from "C" locale:
>
> siim at tancredi:~/tyyq/econ/micEcon$ LC_ALL="C" R CMD build trunk
> * checking for file 'trunk/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * preparing 'trunk':
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> * checking whether 'INDEX' is up-to-date ... NO
> * use '--force' to overwrite the existing 'INDEX'
> * removing junk files
> * checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
> * checking for empty or unneeded directories
> * building 'micEcon_0.3-8.tar.gz'
>
> I can still can directly install from the subdirectory: 'R CMD INSTALL trunk'
> works well regardless of locale.
>
> The micEcon package is available at CRAN.

I'm not sure what to do about it, but I'm 99% sure that what is biting
you is that Estonian sorts z before t, and something somewhere is using
a regexp containing a-zA-Z.

Presumably, R CMD build should just standardize the locale to "C"
internally (it is a right pain to change all instances of a-zA-Z to
[[:alpha:]],  most likely not even possible to do it portably, and at
any rate, packages should not come out different depending on the locale
in which it was built.)