[Rd] Inconsistent behavior of sQuote and dQuote

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Oct 14 17:56:39 CEST 2007

On 14/10/2007 10:44 AM, cstrato wrote:
> Dear all
>
> When comparing sQuote("text") and dQuote("text") on MacOS X and Linux FC4
> I get an inconsistent behavior (using the new release version R-2.6.0):
>
> sQuote: On Mac I get the correct result "'text'", but on FC4 the
> incorrect result "`text´".

Those both look correct to me (but not the same).  What do you see?

> dQuote: On Mac I get the correct result "\"text\"", but on FC4 the
> incorrect result ""text"".

The second one looks wrong here (no escapes shown), but I suspect those
inner quotes aren't really the same as the outer quotes, and that's why
they're not escaped.

If you don't want the fancyquotes at all, you can use
options(useFancyQuotes=FALSE).  In a package, it would be polite to do
this only locally, i.e. have something like

save <- options(useFancyQuotes=FALSE)
on.exit(options(save))

in functions that call sQuote or dQuote, because options() belong to the
user, not to you.

Duncan Murdoch