[Rd] isOpen on closed connections

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:48:18 CET 2007

Upon further consideration, I realized there is a philosophical element
here---if a connection is closed and hence does not exist, is it open?

The practical issue for me is that when you do something like

close(con)

the 'con' object is still lying around and is essentially undefined.  For
example, if I do

close(con)
con <- "hello"

then it seems logical to me that 'isOpen' would return an error.  But it feels
natural to me that a sequence like

close(con)
isOpen(con)  ## FALSE?

would not lead to an error.  Perhaps my expectations are not reasonable and I'd
appreciate being corrected.

Given Brian's comment, one solution would be to allowing closing but not
destroying connections at the R level (maybe via an option?), but that is a
change in semantics and I'm not sure if this problem really comes up that much.

-roger

--
Roger D. Peng  |  http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/