[Rd] C/C++ 'assert' should not be used in R packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 10 09:50:10 CET 2007

Please don't use 'assert' in R packages.  If called, this means that an
error in your code aborts the whole R process, including your user's work.
I see several R packages doing this, and one of them called 'assert' on me
earlier in the week.

We provide 'error': please do use it to return control to the user when
your code misbehaves.

Similarly 'exit' and 'abort' should never be used in R packages.

Sometimes it is not under your control: I sometimes see an rgl failure at

R: indirect_vertex_array.c:659: emit_DrawArrays_old: Assertion
`elements_per_request >= count' failed.

that is coming from the Mesa GL libraries.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk