[Rd] S4 assignment \alias and \usage

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Wed May 30 17:08:47 CEST 2007

Let me back up a bit, I may be making another mistake.  My code has

setGeneric("TSdoc<-",
    def= function(x, value) standardGeneric("TSdoc<-"),
    useAsDefault= function (x, value) {attr(x, "TSdoc") <- value ; x })

setGeneric("TSdoc",
    def= function(x) standardGeneric("TSdoc"),
    useAsDefault= function(x) attr(x, "TSdoc"))

In the Rd file I can document the generics with

\alias{TSdoc}
\alias{TSdoc<-}

and usage
    TSdoc(x)
    TSdoc(x) <- value

and these seems to work for the extraction method:

\alias{TSdoc,default-method}
and usage
\S4method{TSdoc}{default}(x)

but perhaps it is not correct.  My attempts to find an equivalent for
the assignment method have not been successful.  Perhaps the first
questions are whether this is the correct way to document the generic,
and whether the extraction method documentation is only working by
accident. The error that is being flagged by chechDocFiles is that there
is \usage without a corresponding \alias.

Paul

Martin Maechler wrote:

>     PaulG> What is the Rd file alias and usage syntax for an S4 assignment method?
>     PaulG> I have been trying variations on
>

>     PaulG> \alias{TSdoc<-,default-method}
>
> Do you really have a class called "default" ????
>
> Using "<func>.default" is an S3 concept which in S4 is replaced
> by defining methods for "ANY".
>

> In Matrix, we have
>
> \alias{dim<-,Matrix-method}
>
> and that works fine
> -- though we don't have a \usage{.} there, since this really is in
> Matrix-class.Rd
>
> Martin Maechler
>
>     PaulG> \usage{
>     PaulG> \S4method{TSdoc}{default}(x) <- value
>
>     PaulG> but so far I have not got it right according to various codoc, etc, checks.
>
>     PaulG> Paul Gilbert

La version française suit le texte anglais.